Tuesday, January 12, 2010

...all that glitters....

...neither of my two bosses is at work so i may just give you guys the gist of tall, dark and handsome.

I was on my way to Delta state via Benin and the airport was in a mad state. People everywhere, no flights, bribing,...there was just a lot of chaos and i was ill...very ill...so i put down my name in the event that if an auxilliary flight came in, i would be booked on it...

...during the wait, i watched with keen interest, the innate corruption of my nigerian brethren. People were offering all sorts of bribes, telling all sorts of lies and just generally being themselves in order to get into one of the already fully booked flights...i was too ill to participate so i just sat and stared...

...then i saw him...tall, dark, handsome and dressed in "caftan". My first prayer to God was, dear Lord, let him not be a muslim...(NOT BECAUSE I HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST ISLAM, BUT COS I HAD FOUND MY HUSBAND....LOL!) Silly me. Unfortunately, he did not even look my direction and i was too ill to get him to notice me so i gave up and concluded (in the typical nigerian "if you don't get him, he is bad for you" mentality) that he was a muslim.

...i finally got into the flight and there he was offering to take my bag up into the compartments above the seats and being very nice. We sat together and just hit it off. He was not only christian but born again, spirit filled, tongue talking, worker in church...to me God had sent the answers to my 4 year prayers...

...we kept in touch. i returned to lagos and he asked to see me and we went out. And then he asked me out, i couldn't believe my good fortune and then he said to me "...you know that relationship must involve sex now? I'm not in Secondary School you know? All this your spiri coco will not stop us o. We must do..."

...The fast nice music in my head began to slow down as if the "tape" was spoilt. You know that sound...my mouth fell open. Now please note:

1. its not that it was a big deal that a born again tongue talking believer (who had previously condemned every unbeliever on earth to hell and damnation)was talking so unabashedly about sex;

2. Or that it was unnatural for a man's flesh to get in the way of his spirit...

it was just the way he said it and the aftermath. Of course i refused. For me, its one thing if you go into a relationship and then FALL into sin. Its a totally different thing if you go into a relationship hinged on sin,thereby WALKING into sin. I refused and he decided that there was no need for us even to be friends...can you beat that?

...he called me a few more times to ask if i had changed my mind but you know now? Even if i had...EGO!!! PRIDE!!! DIGNITY!!! where would i keep those??? LOL!!!

...i will wait for my man. While i am waiting, i will not grieve the one who would bring my man to me... Sometimes, when i sit and think about him, how i hyped his being a believer. how i hyped his being tall dark and handsome, i realize the wisdom of the ages reflected in the words of the elders and i concur that all that glitters isn't usually gold!!

God help us all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home